Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Beginning of Beautiful

This week is truly an inspiration in time when we look back to the meridian of time. An article in this past Ensign magazine depicts the last week of Christ, a subject definitely of worth to study. I have been ever mindful of the import of this week and the real aspects that the Atonement of Christ brought, but more so I have been filled with a special feeling from the Spirit this week. As I drove to work this morning I had an overwhelming feeling that today was the day in history that many thing from the scripture came to pass. Jesus being anointed was great and the fact that the end was drawing near had to be making it all seem very real to Jesus, but it was the thought of Him being arrested today that brought tears to my eyes as I drove and racked my mind with many thoughts.

Christ had taken the Twelve to eat a final supper together, laughter and joy must have filled the room, probably some reminiscing about past days together and the trials and joys they had experienced together. I am certain that as the evening went on that they must have all began to wonder how soon things would be coming to an end and for Jesus, He must have been filled with sorrow and hurt and even a little doubt as to whether He could go through with it. He had taken the time to wash all their feet and had declared unto them a new commandment, (12 This is my commandment, That ye alove one another, as I have bloved you), they continued to talk until supper. At supper the thought of nearing the garden must have been weighing heavily on Jesus so much, He spoke and stated that one among them would betray Him this night....with puzzled faces, Peter said to John "ask Him which one it is" as John leaned in and said "whom Master shall it be" the ever famous response "To him whom I give the sop" and took a piece of bread and dipped it in the gravy and handed it to Judas and said "what ever though doest , do it quickly". In that statement I feel a fraction of the pain already within Him, He must have been sorrowful already and had to begin to fear the end that was only hours and a day of torture away.

As He left the eleven at the gate and Peter and John ventured up a little further, our Master, Jesus, fell upon the ground and began to pray, I am sure that He prayed stronger and more fervently than He had in some time, a shred of fear had begun to creep in and a little doubt as to whether He could go through with the task as He asked the Father "Father if it be thou, let this cup pass from me, never the less not my will but Thine be done" .An Angel had come to minister to Him and comfort Him, I know that it seems hard to think that Jesus was struggling, but it is important to remember here that He was a mortal man still, the Son of God the Father definitely, but still very tangible in every respect. His body was and is made of flesh and bone and very sensitive to pain just as ours, and with the knowledge of what was to come, He must have begin to fear. I don't like to think that Jesus would have ever had doubt or fear, but I truly believe He did. The idea of the kind of suffering He was going to have to endure and the fact that it had already begun had to be heart retching.

I believe the Angel came to Him and spoke softly of things to come and those which He had already been a party to in the past, I believe that the Angel probably reminded Him of the conversation He had had with heavenly Father before coming down to the Earth to live as a mortal. In deeper doctrine, Joseph Smith spoke of how Jesus had seen what it looked like to suffer for the Atonement, something to look into LDS members. I believe that the Angel gave Him words of encouragement from God Almighty, to strengthen Him. And with that council from a Heavenly visitor the fear and doubt left Jesus and he had fully begun an unstoppable Atonement.

As my thoughts are at the feet of Jesus this night, I cry with both joy and sorrow for the struggle that He so willingly yielded for us. I feel as though we are a special beloved people to have a God and a Savior that would go to such lengths to make sure we are free. I wept as I thought of the suffering that began today, over 2000 years ago. I wept when I think of the suffering that He so willing took for all of us, as they spit in his face, smote His cheek, kicked Him and shouted obscenities at Jesus. The horrible imprisonment, the dragging from one town to the next because no one wants to charge Him. I don't know about you but, there is more to remembering these next few days , than anything that has to do with main stream Easter.

I will challenge all that read this and that includes myself, to share the real mission behind the Saviors work this Easter, to really reflect on the truth behind how it all came to past, to read with the intent of really understanding what it all was for. I challenge everyone to view Christ for what He really did for us and to look to the Savior, the Master and Teacher, to share with us the true meaning of the Atonement and the graphic pain staking selfless act of mercy He so freely gave to all.

As for tomorrow He will carry His cross to the place of the skull, Golgotha. With torn flesh from catanine tails and thorns that have pierced His precious head, weaker than words can describe, He will carry the very burden you share at this very moment on His back, and there within Him he has suffered and carried for all of us. When you hear someone say remember the cross....really remember it, I do.

I am so thankful for a loving Heavenly Father that was willing to suffer His only begotten Son that we might be able to return to Him, and for Our Brother and Savior Jesus who became the Christ. In His holy name Jesus Christ I pray, Amen.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Thank you for the beautiful reminder of our Savior's sacrifice, Jason.