Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Charting the Course

I was going to post a blog the other night on how over whelming the feeling I had received that the messages we as Latter-Day Saints are so privileged to be able to listen to modern day Prophets of the Lord speak to us pertaing to the relevance of being prepared for the end times. I heard many great and uplifting talks and revelations on various topics, but the message for me was one of the same no matter whom was speaking. That message was "Christ is coming soon and no one is to be left behind" . Now whether your a Latter-Day Saint or a Christian of another faith the fact that Jesus is returning is no mystery, however what we as followers of Christ or Disciples as we are called, are to be doing is the very verb of the word disciple. I heard President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, 2nd Councilor in the First Presidency speak on the import of discipleship and how we as member of Christ's body of followers need to be out in full armor working towards enlightening our fellow man.

So I have been thinking... Am I doing all I can to share the gospel of Jesus Christ? No I don't think I am , and frankly I don't think most of us are. Whether it be because you don't feel comfortable or maybe it is because you don't feel like people will even listen. Perhaps you feel like I do sometimes, that all your effort seem to be in vain because no matter the length you go to people still wont hear with their hearts. I took a look at my own personal life and thought hard about the past few weeks , days, even years, and I came to the conclusion that I know that when I have exercised my faith enough to try to plant a seed in someones mind, when I have prayed in faith in the name of Jesus Christ, God has been there. I had the missionary's over to our house tonight for dinner, upon their arrival they informed my wife and I about a family at the end of our street that they happened to tract upon. It turned out they not only welcomed the Elders in but set a date for them to return and teach them a lesson. This family has been one in our neighborhood that has seen very rough times, for Hope and I we have had our fill and can honestly testify of the hand of the Lord when in need. This family, humble in every aspect stopped and talked with my family back at the beginning of last year, we were able to supply them with clothing and school supplies that we had no use for and because we took the opportunity to talk with them , their children and ours have played together for some time now. last week I stood outside picking up a few things around the yard as the kids all played, walking past was this family who took a moment to stop and talk , in the coarse of our conversation we began to discuss church. Their young son said to me " you should come to church with us some time it's fun" I indicated to him that that was very nice, but we were very involved in our church and that we attended regularly. The mother asked me where we went to church, I replied " The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints" She asked what faith that was and I told her Mormon. I had expected the usual respond of " OH that Church" but instead got a " I don't know anything about that church what is it? " I told her that the best answer was found at www.mormon.org and didn't feel impressed to explain much more than that. After our conversation was over and the kids had all come in I realized that God had brought them to us all those months ago and that was why she and her family were there. As the missionaries told me of the introduction they had with this family and how they had made such good mention of our family that they would be pleased to hear from the missionaries again. To me I thought I wasn't doing my part as a member, turns out God is always charting the course and all we have to do is be ready to act when He directs. If we pray to have those around us find the Gospel of Jesus Christ, then those who are seeking will find, the faith we must possess is that of a caliber we all need to aspire to gain, one that allows us to realize we must be willing and more importantly ready to do the work of God at any cost , at any time, no matter what.

President Thomas S. Monson said at conference " the future is as bright as you make it" It doesn't have to be dreading and dismal, The Prophet of Lord has declared it, so rise up all you Saints of God and follow a Prophets call.

2 comments:

It's me, Jenny! said...

I agree with you. I have often felt like I was hitting my head against a brick wall trying to help someone understand my faith.

I have also begun to realize that I can't change anyone's desire to hear what I preach...however...that won't stop me from practicing what I preach.

Being a good example and serving our fellow man is usually the best way to plant seeds of the gospel. We may think that these seeds are sometimes cast on unfertile ground...but I truly believe too that if someone is really searching for truth...no matter where their feet are planted...faith, testimony and knowledge can grow even from a rock.

Ann said...

That's wonderful! I truly believe that we have people placed in our lives who we need, and you have obviously been placed in the lives of others. :)

(Thank you SO much for the work you are doing for us!!! We are so very grateful.)