Thursday, October 9, 2008

Am I doing all I can?

Tonight we had priesthood leadership , to go over the principles of the Gospel that are in need of our support as priesthood holders. I noticed that a great deal of the topic matter was much like that of General Conference that just transpired this past weekend. I was asking friends of mine and discussing the topic of doing so much already in the church , and later this evening the thought came to mind ....Am I doing all I can? Not only as a Priesthood holder but as a Husband and Father? Do I aspire to be like Christ? I don't think so all the time. One of the topics we talked about was " The One " , for those of you not of my faith , the one is that person that you can think of that is in need of help, or maybe your neighbor when there out doing yard work , maybe they could use a hand . Maybe its the person that is latter in years loading there car at the grocery store ...do you offer to give them a hand. My thought turned about as to what I've done lately and to meet the needs of "the one" . I asked someone the other day if I could help them load a cart full of drywall, they thanked me and said someone was coming so I went on about my day . I could have helped though until the other person arrived ! I didn't do enough , does that make sense? I could have done more that's what I'm getting at , I thought about the weeks past and how I have had opportunity's to serve someone and have not . I also began to think that I , we could be more helpful to our wives and try to help her out more with the cleaning and the kids, You know they talked about that at both General Conference and Priesthood leadership ...treat our spouses better than we have been ! Even if we treat them good we can always do better , something I need to work on .I thought of my dear friend Matt and how I've never in my life seen a man as wonderful as he is with his wife and kids...he is a good example as to what we , I should be aspiring to be like .

Christ showed His service to so many ,We were asked tonight to give examples that we could think of for His display of service throughout the scriptures. Many examples came forward, the story of Lazarus , the story of John the Baptist , the story of the Woman who when being persecuted for adultery the Savior stepped in and said " Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" then He turned to the woman and said " were art thou accusers ? They have fled Lord because of Thee , arise woman for thou are forgive go and sin no more" The Savior not only rescued her from death but provided His Loving forgiveness and built her spirits up again before leaving her. That is the true power of the Priesthood ...service with unfeigned faith and love for the recipient. He went to the American continents among the Nephites and visited with them and He blessed each of there children one by one , that is a great act of kindness and compassion. Most important to me is the effort of the Atonement . Not any act of service can be greater than the offering He gave to me and you ! This is my offering ...I will give all that I have to Him for its all I can Give..My life is my offering .

Next time you see someone that might need a hand or hand up , give them a minute . I can promise you it will be worth an eternity.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, too! :) Thanks for the thoughts.