Sunday, September 28, 2008

Has our agency gotten in the way of principles?

I have thought much about the question that is presented here. I think that when we chose to follow Christ in the grand council before the world was and accepted our agency as a part of our lives instead of the slavery term based return policy that Satan had in mind, we took upon ourselves a responsibility to be steadfast in the work of God. If we allow ourselves to use the excuse that we have agency that allows us to not visit the sick or the needy , or if we simply don't feel like going to a meeting or attending an important church function , such as any of the conferences or leadership meetings that have come and are coming to pass , we simply are not following the idea of the agency that was truly given to us. I believe that the agency that our Father in Heaven had in mind for us when we excepted the plan was not to do wrong but to do right ! He never intended to have us say that we don't need to learn from his appointed teachers , He never said you already know enough , or would He ever say don't feed my hungry. Unfortunately we are all guilty of this , we often get so caught up in our own lives and the responsibilities that we feel are important to us that we forget that we hold a greater responsibility to those around us, that when the Savior gave a new commandment to the 12 He said " This new commandment I give unto you ,that ye Love one another as I have loved you ,then ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." John 13:34-35 Our agency was intended for this kind of grand design that we may choose to love each other and that we may choose to do good and be true and just with all men. That we would choose to full fill our duty to God.

This topic can be one of a touchy nature , and to those that don't feel that it is relevant to our salvation , I would challenge you to look deep into your own life and question yourself as to this important fact ...do I love my fellow man? Have I put things off because I found a greater excuse that justifies what I chose to do over what I should do ?I know I have in the past ! I think we need to go to great lengths to be strong at everything that is asked of us and that we should continue to strive to be like Christ in all things especially our agency...........yes I said like Christ , He too had agency , didn't He. He could have chose not to go through with it , The Atonement. When He cried out in the Garden, He was second guessing His decision , Satan was there he said to Jesus " you don't have to do it" He could have backed out at anytime but through that same agency that our Father in Heaven gave us, He gave to Christ as part of the plan of returning to Him!

We must use our agency for the just cause and not for the excuse, else we shall have efforts in vain.

1 comment:

Ann said...

So true...so often we forget that agency was given because it is an essential ingredient in our progression to become like Christ. True happiness and progression only comes through a righteous use of agency. How ironic and sad that we so often use that "agency" to damn ourselves and our own progression. Agency is one of our greatest gifts, and we should constantly be using it to become like Christ!